Show Cause Q&A

這張圖片的 alt 屬性值為空,它的檔案名稱為 640.jpeg

What is a Show Cause

Show cause refers to “provide a reason” to the university when a student fails more than half of the courses for two semesters, or when a student fails the course while retaking. The university would notify the student through email, requiring for a show cause. 

Is show cause important

Show cause is extremely important! It determines whether the student can stay in the university which may affect the student visa and the entire degree. In the worst case, the student could not enter the Australian border for three years. 

How to avoid show cause

First of all, you should study hard, but sometimes the effort and result do not balance. Students can require to have a university transfer before the current university sends you a show cause. This would stop the university from proceeding with the show cause procedures and allow the student to transfer, which could keep the reputation of the student. 

How to deal with show cause

Show cause is divided into two parts. The first part is to prepare a written statement to the university. Students would have to use a compelling and compassionating reason to explain the situation. Feeling unwell, and insufficient in English studying are usually not accepted. The second part is to have a hearing with three teaching staff to explain the cause and future study plan. AAS is experienced in consulting and we can help students to prepare show cause statements and the hearing. 

What are the other ways to cope with show cause

A lot of students would do a university transfer to overcoming the show cause as it could mean that the course or the degree is not suitable for them. Some students might go through show causes year by year, and the second show cause would be harder to go through. University transfer or switching the profession could provide a change in the study environment. 

What is the transfer procedure? 

AAS is experienced in assisting students to process transfer. The procedures are as follow:

a. Apply and receive the offer from the new university 

b. Provide a release letter to the current university 

c. Accept the offer from the new university and pay the tuition fee to get the COE

d. Check if you need to reapply for the visa

e. Enroll in the new university

What about the Student Visa?

Students may or may not need to change the visa. The normal policy is that:

a. If you are transferring to the same level of program, you do not need to reapply for the visa. 

For example, if you are transferring from a bachelor program to another bachelor program provided by another university, you do not need to reapply for the visa. However, you need to be aware of the expiry date if it is last until you finish the program. 

b. If the level of the program is lower, then you will have to change your visa.

For example, if the new program that you are enrolling in is a lower level of study, you will have to reapply it. You will have to get it before enrolling in the new program. Visa 500 subclass student visa does not allow students to study a lower level program with a higher level program visa. For example, if you applied for a bachelor’s degree visa and you wished to transfer to a diploma program, you would have to reapply for the student visa. 

AAS provides free consultation and transfer application services, and we will handle the visa concern for you. 

Can I transfer the credit? 

Yes, you may transfer the credit. When you apply to the new institution, you can attach the grades that you have got from the current institution, it is possible to exempt some credits from similar courses. It can save money and time for the student. When AAS assists students to apply for institution offers, we would communicate with the institution and help them to exempt as many credits as we can. 

Can I transfer to another profession? 

Yes, you can. AAS assisted students with program transfer or institution transfer. Some students studied a profession for a while then realised they did not like it; some students realised they are not suitable for the subject; some students decided to immigrate to Australia, so they wanted to switch to a subject that fits the immigration requirement. You are welcome to use the AAS consultation service. 

What you should be aware of to do institution transfer? 

Institution transfer seems easy, yet you need to know the tricks. For example tricks like showcasing the GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) is crucial to whether the institution will accept the student; or, in another case, if the student studied the program for six months, he does not need to apply for a release letter for the transfer; also, you might be able to apply for the refund from the previous institution. AAS can assist you with the transfer and fight for the most benefits for you. 

If you receive a show case from the university, do worry. You should put a step back and reflect yourself with the study experience. You may also give yourself a fresh start by changing the study environment or switch your profession. 

If you are concerned about getting the show cause request, don’t worry! Contact AAS for consultation and we will assist you with the show cause process. IF you wish to do an institution transfer, AAS will adhere to provide you advice and go through the process with you!